Search This Blog

Sunday, July 18, 2021

GDMBR Anticipation

We can never know about the days to come
But we think about them anyway
And I wonder if I'm really with you now
Or just chasin' after some finer day
Anticipation
Anticipation
Is makin' me wait
Is keepin' me waiting

Anticipation, Carly Simon (1971)

My loaded Jones 29+ ready to roll on the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route.
I love M-Hill in the heart of Rapid City, but can't wait to explore some new trails and roads.


Oh, the anticipation.

Years in the making. Many months in detailed preparation. It's time.

Over 20 years ago, I learned that the Adventure Cycling Association completed mapping the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route (GDMBR), a 2,500 mile bicycle route on gravel and dirt roads along the Continental Divide across the country from Canada to Mexico. It immediately captured my imagination.

Over the years, I've dreamt of riding the GDMBR someday, while wistfully following the exploits of others. Two years ago, with all the silliness from La-Z-Boy internet warriors arguing arbitrary "racing" rules, I expressed my personal approach to riding it. Bikepacking The GDMBR. Then, last month, I finally announced my own planned start date of July 22, 2021. My GDMBR Date Is Set. As a bonus, cycling buddy Paul Brasby stomped on the pedals by committing to start with me. Hit It! Other friends and family may also join me somewhere along the way. With A Little Help From My Friends. It's time.

I've been up, down, and sideways through my bike, packs, gear, food, water, communications, navigation, and everything else I can think of. My numerous GDMBR posts sprinkled throughout this blog merely hint at what's been happening here. And it's not just armchair planning. This calendar year alone, I've ridden over 1,000 miles on my 70 pound, fully loaded Jones 29+ bike and another 500 miles on that bike unloaded, let alone the miles on my other bikes. It's time.

One final check and I'm bound for the U.S. Border Station at Roosville, Montana. It's time.

Anticipation. It's making me wait.

Anticipation, Carly Simon (1971)


NOTE:  I do not plan to post again on this blog until returning from the GDMBR. If all goes well, that should be some time.



No comments:

Post a Comment