Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2024

24 Hours In The Old Pueblo - Sticker Smiles

While preparing for the 24 Hours In The Old Pueblo ("Two Four HOP"), I dug out some old files from racing 24 hour team relays back in 1999-2003. I found a number of helpful outlines, check lists, and notes, including a file from my Duo Team race at Two Four HOP in 2003. From that file, a small, circular sticker fell out. It merely said "24," with a small mountain biker, mountain, and cactus in the background.

What a cool find. I remembered liking that sticker at the time, but not knowing what to do with it. Now, 21 years later, I decided to mount it on a prominent spot on my bike rack. So, I'm returning to Two Four HOP with a piece of my own history on my bike rack.

My 2003 and 2024 Two Four HOP stickers, showing some wear from my 2,840 mile road trip.

Weeks later, I received my racer packet at 24 Hour Town on the day before the race. Sifting through an assortment of samples and promotional pieces, I found a number of Two Four HOP items splashed in flashy 80's-inspired neon and PAC-MAN artwork. The t-shirt and poster are such a fine sight to see.

Then a small, black and white something caught my eye. It was a simple, circular white sticker with black lettering proclaiming "24 Hours In The Old Pueblo 2024." No way! It even looks like my old one! Wait, there's two! 

Splash Two! I immediately cleaned the bike rack enough to stick on a new Two Four HOP sticker near the old one. I didn't know what to do with the other new one, so it went into the 24 hour file.

A big smile only begins to describe the emotions evoked when I first saw those stickers before the race. So many memories from the old 24 hour team relays and so much excitement for the solo experience ahead. It made my day, in a day of days.

Now, after experiencing 24 HOP this year with so many new and old friends, that smile is broader and deeper. And likely to broaden and deepen more over time.

Cleaned up Jeep updated with 24 HOP stickers.

Bonus image of the 2024 24 HOP poster.





1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing rider Craig! Love the photos and story!

    ReplyDelete