Search This Blog

Friday, October 11, 2024

On The Back Roads Again - Red Bird Canyon

On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again
I can't wait to get on the road again.
On the Road Again, Willie Nelson (1980).

Can't wait to see what's around that corner on USFS Low Standard Road 376.

I love to scout back roads and near-roads. I'd be out there at very opportunity, no matter where I lived.

But I'm fortunate to live in Rapid City, South Dakota, the very gateway into Black Hills National Forest. The number and variety of public gravel and dirt roads here is staggering. I regularly set out to explore them, by Jones and by Jeep, and still find new-to-me gems. I love it.

Earlier this week, I scouted an area for my developing BackBone DoubleGrande bikepacking route and for a possible 2025 Black Hills Bounty ride. This area, north and west of Jewel Cave National Monument, still shows scars from the 2000 Jasper fire that burned more than 83,000 acres of forest. The spider web of roads and two tracks resulting from that fire fighting, and the on-going ranching and logging, create virtually limitless possibilities for riding. Every time I go back there, I find something new and amazing.

This time, I ran into dead-ends, where the maps showed that the road went through to connect with another road. I also encountered roads that went through, where the maps showed dead-ends. It was a challenging day to make some sense of it all and to sort through possible routes.

Then, late afternoon, after hours of annoyance with inaccurate maps and unmarked roads, I stumbled into Red Bird Canyon. Stunning. Simply stunning.

One way or another, this canyon will be part of the BackBone DoubleGrande and the possible 2025 Black Hills Bounty. And this is yet another reminder to keep at it. Eventually, it's all worthwhile.

Pictures fail to express the beauty of this 13 mile stretch of gold. But I felt compelled to share some here.

I can't wait to get back out there.

Climbing up to the ridge line above Spring Canyon on USFS Low Standard Road 280.

USFS Low Standard Road 376.3B tries to connect with Red Bird Canyon Road (376).

Entering Red Bird Canyon from the south on USFS Secondary Road 376.

A little further along northbound on USFS Secondary Road 376.

Canyon walls closing in on USFS Secondary Road 376.

Road roughens on what is now USFS Low Standard Road 376.

USFS Low Standard Road 376.

USFS Low Standard Road 376.

USFS Low Standard Road 376.

USFS Low Standard Road 376.

USFS Low Standard Road 376.

USFS Low Standard Road 376.

USFS Low Standard Road 376.

USFS Low Standard Road 376.


On The Road Again, Willie Nelson (1980).


No comments:

Post a Comment