Search This Blog

Sunday, January 1, 2023

Great Divide Mountain Bike Route - A Page Linking All My Posts

Spent the last year, Rocky Mountain way, couldn't get much higher, 
Out to pasture, think it's safe to say, time to open fire.
Rocky Mountain Way, Joey Vitale, Joe Walsh, Ken Passarelli & Rocke Grave (1973). 

Out there, on the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route.
(photo by Paul Brasby)

In late summer 2021, I rode the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route self-supported from the Canadian border at Roosville, Montana to the Mexican border at Antelope Wells, New Mexico. It was an amazing, once in a lifetime experience. I'll always cherish that overwhelming feeling of sheer joy and utter disbelief at the finish. That is why to dream audaciously, set goals boldly, and work relentlessly to achieve. 

After riding 7 weeks on the Great Divide, I spent the next 7 months writing about it. Over the fall and winter, and well into the spring of 2022, I published almost 50 blog posts about my experience. Stories of individual happenings or days flowed easily, but expressing the overall experience proved difficult. I still don't think I've adequately conveyed it.

Nonetheless, to this day, I still see traffic on many of those posts. Now, with the new year, I know that folks are preparing for their own run at the Great Divide this summer and are looking for information. So, I'm making my posts easier to find by creating a separate Page for them.

On the right side of the main Black Hills BackBone page, look for the section marked "Pages." There is one called "Great Divide Mountain Bike Route (2021)." You'll find links to posts on a variety of subjects, including preparations, gear lists, packing, bike set up, logistics, navigation, food, encounters with others, adaptations, and the all important mental aspect. Photographs adorn each post. There's even a slide show with one representative image for each day and an entire Gallery of amazing Paul Brasby images.

If you plan to ride the Great Divide, or just want to read along with my ride, here's a place to start. Also, feel free to contact me directly if you'd like to ask any question about the Great Divide.

A part of me will always be out there.


Rocky Mountain Way, Joe Walsh live (1976)

No comments:

Post a Comment